On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 5:00 PM, Sam Bisbee <s...@sbisbee.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 3:52 PM, Jan Lehnardt <j...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Oct 19, 2011, at 21:25 , Sam Bisbee wrote:
>>
>>> Yeah, it looks like it's just an unstable test. Which makes me wonder
>>> why we even have it or include it in the release process.
>>
>> It is only unstable in certain environments and we are constantly improving
>> all tests to be more stable in all environments, but the browser world is
>> harsh :)
>
> I'm all for improvement. :) But is this improvement being tracked
> anywhere, JIRA or otherwise? And if not, then could it be? I'm sure
> that folks (self included) would be willing to pitch in if we knew
> what had to be done.

There was a thread about splitting Futon tests out and making them
proper CLI tests that are run as part of `make check` and become
actual release blockers. I have often and loudly voiced my support of
this approach. I refer you to the number of varying reports for 1.1.1
with various browsers as Exhibit A in favor of this switch.

>> I'd still consider having the test better than not having it at all :)
>
> I semi remember this being discussed before, but are the Futon tests
> meant to test CouchDB, Futon, or the integration of the two?

The test suite is there to test CouchDB. There's some merit to testing
Futon/Browser access as well. Jan's recent approach to the "verify
installation" seems to me like a good way forward. We could use a
small number of tests that check various browser capabilities and what
not. But I think a large amount of the Futon test code should be
permanently removed from the browser based test runner.