On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 1:45 PM, Randall Leeds <randall.le...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 13:42, Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 1:38 AM, Randall Leeds <rand...@apache.org> wrote:

>> >  +1
>> > Verify Installation could grow into a suite of browser/futon tests that
>> > verify that futon (and apps in general) work, including interactions with
>> > proxies and the like.
>>
>> Sure. Client tests that test the client are fine.
>>
>> > The test suite for developers should run cleanly from the CLI as part of
>> > make check, but continue to be exposed in futon. We should work to be
>> sure
>> > they function as well as possible, for the reasons you provide.
>> >

>> Blargh no. Server tests should be testing the server. The entire point
>> of moving to the command line is so that we don't have to maintain the
>> Futon test suite. Just look at the 1.1.1 thread (or damn near any
>> release thread) and the wildly varying reports of test output. The
>> situation is just a waste of time for everyone involved.
>>
>> > I think the JS testing situation is a great place for people to jump in
>> and
>> > help out, especially with the browser environment diversity.
>> >

>> Sure, but I don't see what this has to do with browsers.
>>

> People who aren't into the internals can help to fix the suite to work in
> different browser environments. That's all I meant.

Seeing as I'm having a Negative Nancy day, I'll just ask rhetorically,
"If these people exist, why do I not see anything in JIRA?"

> I suggested that the CLI tests be exposed in Futon because I think there are
> probably some JS heads in this community who wouldn't have too much trouble
> fixing a lot of the user agent related issues in the test suite. I didn't
> mean to suggest that it should continue to be part of the release procedure
> (it shouldn't) or that we should feel 100% obligated to make sure they pass
> in 100% of environments (we can't and shouldn't), but J. Lee's point about
> how keeping such tests around can sometimes expose interesting problems we
> wouldn't otherwise see, possible outside the CouchDB codebase even, is
> worthwhile.
>
> -Randall

We've had these tests for three years or more now. Perhaps I'm just
being dense today but I can't think of a single specific case where
testing things in the browser has lead to a bug report/fix that we
wouldn't have found with pure CLI tests.

The only thing that I'm aware that the tests have done for us is
required us to exert a nontrivial amount of effort to keep them
running in multiple browser environments. I have no interest in
maintaing these as tests runnable in the browser. I want to create a
CLI test environment that promotes stable, repeatable, concise tests.
Running these in a browser is the antithesis to such an environment.