Here's another suggestion.

In all vote emails, we include the commit id that the release
artifacts were built from, but create no tag at all.

When the release passes the votes, we create the tag, with its final
name, against that commit id, and push it at the same time we upload
the artifact to the mirrors.

To obviate any concern about stale 1.1.1 tags in downstream repos, we
could, for this release only, add a 1.1.1-final tag as an unambiguous
tag, but only *after* the release is official.

Stated another way; we make each tag exactly once, and refer to the
build by its commit id until then. Since a commit id in git dictates
the precise state of the entire tree this is safe.

B.