On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 6:26 PM, Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 7:13 PM, Noah Slater <nsla...@tumbolia.org> wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 5:04 PM, Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com
> >wrote:

> think
> >> we
> already
> >>
> >> Well why not about a context menu?
> >

> > What?
> >

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Context_menu
>
> here a menu that culd appear when you click on a top navigation link.

Okay. No, I don't think we should have one of those.

> documentation
> particular

> could
> We
> >> >

> >> Why the text has to be stretched across the whole screen? It looks
> >> good but it's actually really painful to read it.
> >

> > Yes, I'm not sure what to do about it.
> >
> > We need a designer to look at it.
>
> i would first reduce the width to 40em (common width on desktop) and
> the font size to something human readable then look at a designer to
> make eventually things looking better (wich is far less important than
> readability). I can do that quickly if anyone is OK.

I want a designer to look at this. It is readable enough that we don't have
to take any emergency action. I am happy to wait for this to be picked up
as CouchDB re-organises itself.

> >> The links to the web interface for the mailing list are there. Click on
> >> the
> >>
> >> Hard time to figure I had to click on the link. That's not intuitive.
> >>

> > Intuition is relative.
>
> Do you mean we should encourage people to try all the link before
> finding the right content behind? None of these links clearly tell to
> the user that it links to a web interface.

I disagree. I think the links are very clear.

> >> Also I don't find the markmail link.
> >

> > Markmail is not official.
>
> But it was there and useful.

So put it on the wiki.

This site is about the bare essential facts about CouchDB.

Let's keep it simple.

> > Not convinced this is a big deal. How many people use the web interface
> > our mailing lists by clicking on a link, and then browsing by date? I am
> > willing to bet it is only me, when totting up vote.
> >

> Or any people that want to link to a discussion on others media.

Again, I think it's clear.

We can add clarification to the wiki if it turns out not to be clear.

(Which we will hear about.)

> Quick
> >>
> >> Quick link section is on the bottom. When I just want to put a ticket
> >> I want to make it fast. That should be on top imo and really visible
> >> for all. Its as important as "Download" is and probably more important
> >> than the mailing lists.
> >

> > I think that the next step forward is to add a Quick Links header
> > navigation element that would allow you to scroll to the bottom of the
> > page. If anyone can get this working properly, please contribute it.
> >

> Why do i have to scroll to the bottom to find a really important link.

Because that is the way the page is designed.

> Opening tickets is a way to encourage people to contribute. It is also
> the way we provide support. It really *must* be part of the top
> navigation.

I agree. We want people to contribute. But I don't think we should have a
link to JIRA in the top of the navigation. At the moment, that area of the
page serves as in-page navigation only. I would like to keep it like that.
I appreciate that you do not want to keep it like that. But the plural of
anecdote is not data. That is, we have two opinions. It is yet to be seen
if people have a problem finding JIRA. If it is so important to YOU, you
should have a book mark for JIRA. I am not convinced that regular users of
CouchDB are going to come to this page and think "OMG WHERE CAN I REPORT
BUGS?" Maybe I am wrong, and maybe this will happen. But I want to wait and
see, and get a better feel for how this design is received before we make
any rash changes.