We could institute a "SOS" type thing where people can request a
timeout on a change to properly review or discuss it. And we can put a
time limit on it. So you'd say "I'd like to request we back out X
changeset and discuss it." And then you have like Y days to get
consensus on what to do about it. But it's still a consensus based
thing.

That gives you your emergency brake power, but without allowing PMC
consensus to be unilaterally overridden by an individual.

--
Noah Slater
https://twitter.com/nslater