On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 4:01 PM, Jan Lehnardt <j...@apache.org> wrote:

>>> The benefit then is that we can ship it with CouchDB :)
>>>
>>> I’m +1000, I’ve wanted something like this forever.
>>
>> I'm not sure that we'll have consensus on shipping nodejs tools,
>> especially with current state of nodejs.
>
> The current state of Node.js is fine.

I wouldn't say that: node.js is dead, io.js develops quite fast, but
they provides broken releases for Windows and Linux quite often (2.1.0
was broken for instance for me and I had to wait for 2.2.1).

>> No problem if it was made in
>> Erlang (which gives more power on what it can do, like repare database
>> file).
>
> We can always shell out to Erlang-only tools. I just don’t see a whole
> lot of people working on those.
>
> Saying “we can’t use this because that one theoretical use-case might be
> a bit harder” seems short-sighted :)

Ok, let's start the one (: People will come after.

> Also, Node.js could work on .couch files just fine (with a bit more work
> of course).

No code sharing with CouchDB what means hard to sync work with file
format which means easy to make a mistake and corrupt the database.
Not good perspective.

--