> On 03 Jun 2015, at 15:09, Alexander Shorin <kxe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 4:01 PM, Jan Lehnardt <j...@apache.org> wrote:

>>> I'm not sure that we'll have consensus on shipping nodejs tools,
>>> especially with current state of nodejs.
>>
>> The current state of Node.js is fine.
>
> I wouldn't say that: node.js is dead, io.js develops quite fast, but
> they provides broken releases for Windows and Linux quite often (2.1.0
> was broken for instance for me and I had to wait for 2.2.1).

Node.js is not dead. Please stop posting FUD.

The io.js and Node.js projects are going to be merged in the future, work
is currently ongoing. Node.js has stable releases all around, there is no
technical reason, not to bet on it. There is a significant community and
industry around Node.js/io.js.

>>> No problem if it was made in
>>> Erlang (which gives more power on what it can do, like repare database
>>> file).
>>
>> We can always shell out to Erlang-only tools. I just don’t see a whole
>> lot of people working on those.
>>
>> Saying “we can’t use this because that one theoretical use-case might be
>> a bit harder” seems short-sighted :)
>
> Ok, let's start the one (: People will come after.
>
>> Also, Node.js could work on .couch files just fine (with a bit more work
>> of course).
>
> No code sharing with CouchDB what means hard to sync work with file
> format which means easy to make a mistake and corrupt the database.
> Not good perspective.

Well, changes are usually small, and Node.js is fast to write :) — But yeah,
would prefer those tools be in Erlang, and we’ve covered how to handle that :)

Best
Jan