I’m really struggling with these proposals. I love the enthusiasm of everyone
but I keep thinking we should rather simplify CouchDB.
CouchDB is ultimately a database. One with excellent sync capabilities. And
combining that with libraries like PouchDB and Hoodie make it an amazing
database to build applications with.
Adding routers and reverse proxies just makes it feel like we trying to push
CouchDB into being more than it needs to be.

For example building Couchapp like functionality in Node.js is so simple and
way better. Languages like Go also do that really well. Far superior than what
we can do with a database.
I would rather let the Node.js and Go web libraries serve content and let us
focus on building a clustered replicating database. We will draw more people to
this community if we can do that properly over creaky, slow and limited web
serving mashed on top of a database.
If I look at other popular databases, I don’t see any of them serving web
content which is probably a sign that this idea is not something worth
pursuing.

However if there is a burning desire for this and developers raising their
hands to code this functionality, I would not stand in your way. It is great to
see the varied use of CouchDB out in the wild.

Cheers
Garren

> [...]
>> the cwiki. So I suggest to use
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/COUCHDB/Enhancement+Proposals .
>> Do you have write access there? If not, please ping me.
>>
>> Great work!
>>
>> All the best
>>
>> Andy
>>
>> P.S.: Jan already mentioned the feature freeze. Please take it not as a
>> demotivation but as the possibility to have a bit more time to work on it.
>>
>> On 17 October 2015 at 17:32, Johs Ensby <j...@b2w.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Andy,
>>> I will make my first use case for function in _rewrite a high level one:
>>> to create a standalone server that is an all-in-one DB server, application
>>> server, api server and web server.
>>>
>>> I have played with the build of CouchDB 2 with rewrite function
>>> implemented that  ermouth put up on the irish AWS community AMI list and
>>> the new use cases are endless.
>>> First, I find that there are a few things that people fail to notice about
>>> ddocs.
>>> you need a tool to build a ddoc, editing JSON is not a viable option. The
>>> Ddoc Lab of ermouth is in a class of its own. If you havent tried it yet,
>>> do so from http://ddoc.me/ <http://ddoc.me/>. Installing on your own
>>> couch it is as easy as storing the application, all included as one
>>> document in any database. Ddoc Lab is a component oriented IDE with syntax
>>> checking, less preprosessor and other build tools that let you keep a well
>>> organized ddoc as a source project (in one couchdb document) and you
>>> publich a ddoc to any target db.
>>> with this tool you can organize your js modules and templates etc and
>>> basically...
>>> set up the API of your application in a ddoc. You can switch between
>>> databases and their ddoc functionality based on username, role or
>>> geolocation and limit access to parts of the Couch API as needed
>>>
>>> This is the method I would recommend to explore powerful simplicity with
>>> function in rewrites
>>> redirect port 80 directly to couch
>>> set up 2 vhosts, one for public access pointing to youdb/_design/api and
>>> one for sysadm pointing to /
>>> for admin use Fauxton and Ddoc Lab on the sysadm vhost
>>> you are set to develop great systems, no big tool stack to learn, just
>>> bring in whatever js modules you like, the template engine you like, the
>>> router you like, the HTML5 stuff you like..
>>> .. or just write some very compact js code in one place where you ealier
>>> had to mess around with a whole stack of tools and systems
>>>
>>> below is the req object that the function takes
>>>
>>> Johs
>>>

>>> The rewrite function has this syntax
>>> function(req) {
>>>       .. your code that will
>>>       return
>>>               path
>>>               // optional
>>>               headers
>>>               method // you can change this on the fly

>>> path
>>> raw_path
>>> query
>>> headers