On the server side you can run what ever JavaScript you want, it is far
less limited than
client side JavaScript. PouchDB also runs on the server and has the exact
same issue
in terms of seperation of concerns.

PouchDB doesnt expect developers to do dom manipulation, templating,
scheduling and
other applications features via API's it provides, neither will it ever
provide a reverse proxy

Pouch and CouchDB can both better integrate with things that do provide
reverse proxying
and other such features much better though. Here is an example of a simple
server that
provides a proxy on /proxy, and admin party database on /db and a read only
database
on /public (it could use either pouchdb or couchdb to provide the databases)

https://gist.github.com/daleharvey/bf4e9a94553b75ef2d39

Its far from ideal, but already simpler than attempting the same setup with
CouchDB only
and far far more extendable. I didnt need to wait for CouchDB to implement
any features
or discuss their implementation.

While CouchDB is your only application platform, there will never be enough
functionality in
it to fulfill even the basic use cases and people will lean towards better
solutions
(see mongo + meteor).

I very much think a single shot application server is a great idea (see
firebase), however
I am very much of the opinion that it should be built on top of CouchDB,
not into it.