hey folks,

it's been a while since I tested a release. but here we go

I followed the instructions on the test procedure wiki page using a mac
that has never built or installed CouchDB before

I ran into two minor issues, and have accordingly edited the wiki to note
the error message you get if GPG isn't installed, and also included
instructions on how to get the SHA checksum tools installed and set up on
macOS

however, I'm now running into an issue building CouchDB

`./configure` is exceptionally fast and runs without issues, and I note
that it seems we're not using GNU Autoconf any more (yes apparently I am
*quite* behind the times* :)

but `make check` fails with:

env: escript: No such file or directory

I would have expected `./configure` to alert me to the missing Erlang
dependency. certainly, in the world of Autoconf, checking for the presence
of useable dependencies is one of the primary functions of the
`./configure` script

I installed Erlang, and then ran into another issue:

Compiling
/private/tmp/couchdb/dist/apache-couchdb-2.3.0/src/couch/priv/couch_js/http.c
/private/tmp/couchdb/dist/apache-couchdb-2.3.0/src/couch/priv/couch_js/http.c:18:10:
fatal error: 'jsapi.h' file not found
#include <jsapi.h>
         ^~~~~~~~~
1 error generated.
ERROR: compile failed while processing
/private/tmp/couchdb/dist/apache-couchdb-2.3.0/src/couch: rebar_abort
make: *** [couch] Error 1

so it seems like there's another dependency I don't have. but I can't tell
just from looking at this error message what is missing

so I guess I have two questions:

1. what do I need to do to get this working?

2. I don't have any opinions re the removal of GNU Autoconf. I'm sure there
was a reason, etc, etc. but it seems to me that the install experience is
somewhat worse than the last time I looked at it. without the dependency
checking in `./configure`, these messages are not a great first run
experience. is this a known issue?

I'm aware there are installation guides. but a new user might not be. and
the reason I'm sending this email now instead of looking up help is that
the CouchDB docs are not loading for me. I've been waiting several minutes
and I only have a half-rendered page. though this might be an issue with my
net connection

p.s. sorry for returning to this list and immediately bearing bad news :P

--
LargePrefPlaceholder-XKUz1MEJBwkOM