> On 9. Jul 2019, at 13:37, ermouth <ermo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> This isn’t as clear-cut as you make it sound. To illustrate:
>
> This is. 8 cores are still uncommon.

On dev machines sure, but on production setups, anything from
1-32 cores is extremely common in your random cloud provider
of choice. I don’t feel comfortable setting q=1 and let 7-31
CPUs idle and have folks about CouchDB being slow.

>> but outside of db-per-user, a q=1 is usually not a great idea
>
> For single-node setup q=8 is also definitely not a great idea.

That’s why I suggested we add this to the setup wizard in Fauxton
which you claim later in your email is somehow not possible.

>> inside the setup screen on Fauxton, and I know you’re a capable web
>> dev, but I haven’t yet seen an improvement suggestion from you towards
> this
>
> I do not think Fauxton is any fixable, otherwise I’d prefer to fix it then
> to write new admin panel from scratch. In short, the entire UI layout
> chosen for Fauxton is good when you upfront know what controls you want to
> place into it, but it isn’t well suited for introducing new features.

The Setup Wizard feature exists already and this would require the
addition of one text field, an explanation, and a few lines to the
_cluster_setup endpoint. All of which takes about as much time as
writing all the emails in this thread that otherwise go nowhere.

Best
Jan