To add my two cents, I personally engage much more on communities using
discourse or some modern Forum engines, than on those relying on mailing lists.

As far as browsing archives is concerned, I personally always find it painful
to browse email archives to find relevant information. Maybe if you have been
part of the community from day 1, and you have been storing all emails locally,
then launching a search in your email client is convenient (but even then, the
quality of your results will depend on the search implementation of your email
client + what about if you're not using your regular computer). However, if you
are an outsider looking for context that was discussed 2 years ago, even
Couchdb's official archive
website<https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/couchdb-dev/> does not have a
search function. There may be a way but this is clearly not as user friendly
than something like discourse.

I would also note that beyond archive scenarios, one major benefit of tools
like Discord that people often fail to verbalize is that they capture social
dynamics around a topic/issue. You can see how many people viewed a topic,
liked a post etc... It is so valuable to know that the piece of information you
have found helped the original poster, or was "blessed" with a like by a senior
member of the community.

This also helps the archiving scenario since you have very helpful activity
feeds, which also allow you to stay on top of your preferred communities
quickly. If questions are redundant you can link to the previous topic easily
or even merge topics. Referencing former discussions on emails is much more
difficult and impractical. My observation is that people just get tired of
answering the same question and ignore new posters or start replying with
one-liners.

So far I have never subscribed to email notifications on these platforms, I
just visit the website and have no problem with that. Moreover something like
Discourse even groups the topics that were discussed "since you last visited".
Just sharing my experience since many people may be similar.