On 7 April 2013 20:09, Jochen Wiedmann <jochen.wiedm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > It looks like Apache RAT 0.8 uses standard Java wildcard regex file
> > matching, whereas the original RAT used a different set of wildcard
> > meta-characters - more like the syntax used by Maven and Ant.
>
> Unfortunately, in this particular case, there is no such thing like "Rat",
> but there are
>
> a) the Rat Maven Plugin (uses Plexus Utils internally, hence Maven style)
> b) the Rat Ant Tasks (uses Ant pattern matcher internally, hence Ant style)
> c) the Rat CLI, which probably uses native Java patterns (dunno)

It uses Commons IO.

For the -E option (expressions read from a file), it uses RegexFileFilter
which uses java.util.regex.Pattern syntax.

For the -e option (expression provided on command-line), it uses
WildcardFileFilter, whose Javadoc says:
"The wildcard matcher uses the characters '?' and '*' to represent a single
or multiple wildcard characters. This is the same as often found on
Dos/Unix command lines."

I cannot see any valid reason for that discrepancy.

Ant is the same as WildcardFileFilter, except that:
+ When ** is used as the name of a directory in the pattern, it matches
zero or more directories.
+ There is one "shorthand": if a pattern ends with / or \, then ** is
appended.

I think the Maven syntax is much the same as Ant (but there could be
differences in edge cases)

I agree that RAT CLI should use Ant/Maven style.