Even if you were able to solve the class file version, there's probably
bigger problems with J2ME as AFAIK it doesn't support any of the Java 5
features yet (e.g. annotations) and is missing chunks of JSE 5 libraries
that CXF uses. You can theoretically get CXF working on J2ME by retroweaving
it (see
http://www.osgi.org/wiki/uploads/CommunityEvent2007/OSGiCommunity-Roelofsen.pdf)
but I'm not sure this is really suitable for an embedded device with
constrained memory...

Cheers,

David