I’d much rather keep master a “8+9” type of thing for a while.    I don’t see
ANYONE moving to Java 9 for production stuff any time soon.

That said, at some point soon, I’d like to make master more “Java 9 Friendly”
and hopefully release a 3.3 at some point in the future that supports java8,
but may be more friendly for Java9.    Not 100% sure what that would entail,
but I would definitely be open to the idea of releases being done with Java9
that would allow additional modules for Java9 users.

It’s kind of similar to how we moved from JAX-WS 2.1 to 2.2.    Until we went
Java7 only, we had a separate profile that added additional src directories and
such for JAX-WS 2.2.   On Java 5/6, we had to do JAX-WS 2.1 so the code in the
normal src/main/java directories was all Java5/6 with JAX-WS 2.1.   However, we
had a separate src/man/jaxws22 source directory that contained the additional
classes and such that were needed for JAX-WS 2.2.   At release time, we had to
make sure we used the appropriate JDK/Profile to get that included.

Now, what does “Java 9 Friendly” entail?   Not really sure.  Off the top of my
head, I would definitely start by including dependencies for all the javax.*
API’s.   Example, core depends on JAXB so add the jaxb-api jar.    This would
definitely reduce the amount of “patch-module” things that are needed to use
CXF on Java9.   However, it’s not something to do on 3.2.x as it adds a ton of
dependencies that users may need/want to exclude so not a “patch” thing.    As
part of this, we’d also update to as many dependencies that are module friendly
as possible.      We could also have additional source dirs or similar to the
tree for Java 9 “cool things”, providing we can still compile with —target=1.8.
   Another example could possibly be an update to the http client transport to
use the Java9 HttpClient.   If run on Java8, we’d stick with URLConnection, on
Java9, use HttpClient.

I know Java9 supports the “Multi-Release JAR”, but I’m not sure if Maven can
handle/generate those yet.   Something else to look into.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp
dk...@apache.org - http://dankulp.com/blog