Hi Marc,

On Sun, 2005-03-13 at 18:06 +0100, Marc Santhoff wrote:
> Hi Lawrence,
>
> Am So, den 13.03.2005 schrieb Lawrence Harriott um 07:53:
> > >
> > > I'm not, but I'll try to help...
> > Sorry about the name Marc. Honest mistake.
>
> No need to excuse here. :)

> > > There is a driver for PostgrSQL, look there:
> > >
> > > http://dba.openoffice.org/drivers/index.html
> > I know, I have tried it. In fact, the gODBCConfig GUI that comes with
> > MDK10.1 sets it up for you. It just doesn't work right.

> > > Not really. ODBC itself is some sort of a wasps nest. You have to:
> > > - use version numbers of database and unixODBC/iODBC that "fit together"
> > > - watch out for paths, the location of odbc.ini is compiled in, so the
> > > best is to compile them yourself (/etc/odbc.ini,
> > > /usr/local/etc/odbc.ini, ~/.odbc.ini, ...)
> >
> > You obviously haven't tried that on MDK10.1, have you? I have a 12 hour
> > marathon in my log with 98 entries resulting from trying to install a
> > front end to MySQL called webyog (I think) when OOo and ODBC failed. The
> > effort terminated in a circular dependency in two key development rpm's
> > such that neither of them could be installed!
>
> No, I haven't. I'm using FreeBSD.
>
> > Specifically,compiling the ODBC driver results in the compiler
> > complaining about missing header files needed to compile the GUI. Take
> > note of the circular rpm dependency matter I just mentioned. I compiled
> > it without the GUI, and with a prefix to have the libraries installed
> > in /usr/lib, and without a prefix to have it install to /usr/local/lib
> > by default. The results are the same.
> >
> > I wrote all the parties concerned including Mandrake. Only OOo
> > responded. Frankly, I am beginning to think of Mandrake as having or
> > developing the attitudes of M$. It could not have cost them that much to
> > even acknowledge receipt of the email.
>
> Don't they have some mailing lists or the like? If not, maybe there is
> someone responsible for the software packets in question. Or you could
> try news groups, get a news reader or use google groups.
There may be some avenue I haven't tried, but I have tried the options
you listed. I do not know if there is one person responsible for those
packages but they could easily redirect it to that person internally.

> > > - go step by step: test the db for access rights, do that over the local
> > > net, test access with isql, then use applications
> >
> > Done all that and a few more. The isql and other tests work fine.
> > Apparently any test outside of OOo seems to work ok. I had sorted out
> > the permissions issue and even used the downloadable 'ignore privilege'
> > macro. All this was done on the local net. Instructions followed
> > exactly.
>
> Okay, so that part is working and you can fetch and alter data with
> isql. What happens if you start OOo. You have created a new datasource,
> I assume. Does it show you the ODBC aliases in the selection dialog?

Yes. In my case the alias would show up in OOo, and if you select tables
in the beamer all you would see is tables with a checkmark but not the
names of the tables. If you use F4 you would see tables, queries, etc
drop down under the alias and even the option to expand the tables
option. When you click on it, the expansion button would merely
disappear and nothing else would happen.