Hi Josh,

> The reason I'm the one bringing it up, and here, is that (as far as I know)
> Sun doesn't have any intention of *forcing* OOo to accept Derby/JavaDB.   I'm
> here to persuade.
>
> So re-read my question as:  "what help from the Derby team and/or what
> features would make moving to Derby an attractive option despite the cost of
> switching?"

Uhm. Well, at the moment, the HSQL backend has more features than the
OOo Base front-end can currently bring to the user. So, argueing with
more backend features is not really convincing :).

Really, I'm happy with the situation as it is. While there are a few
things we'd like HSQL to have [1], I think Base itself has a lot more
things it needs - we can keep all active developers busy for quite some
while. At the moment, I cannot imagine any backend feature which is so
superior or powerful or cool or useful that I'd consider switching the
backend more important than improving the front-end.

Sorry if this isn't what you wanted to hear :)

[1]http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/HSQLDB_Integration#Desired_Features

--
- Frank Schönheit, Software Engineer         [EMAIL PROTECTED] -
- OpenOffice.org Database                   http://dba.openoffice.org -