Hi Frank,

following an advice of a Spanish-speaking user, who told me that OOo
Base dialogs look horrible on his Linux KDE, I could reproduce this
behavior changing some setting but only on my Notebook (where the screen
resolution is lower that my LCD monitor 1280x1024).

But I discovered that is happens only OOoBase dialogs: it turns out that
the user was using the data base related wizards.

As you can see in the pictures I send to your mail (the mailing list
does not allow), this happens with checkboxes and radiobuttons with
height of 8 map: the graphic for the circle (radiobuttons) and the
square (checkboxes) does not paint properly, it seems to have a fixed size.

It runs out that some/most dialogs follow
Christian Jansen, Dialog Specification and Guidelines - Visual Design.
http://ui.openoffice.org/knowledge/DialogSpecificationandGuidelines.odt[1]

where the height for radioboxes and checkboxes is 8, while in

/svtools/inc/controldims.hrc [to see where is included:
http://lxr.go-oo.org/search?string=controldims.hrc [2]  ]

RSC_CD_CHECKBOX_HEIGHT = 10
RSC_CD_RADIOBUTTON_HEIGHT = 10

that's why the Options, among others, looks good; but not other.
For example, in

Database Wizard
dbaccess/source/ui/dlg/dbadmin.src

RadioButton RB_CREATEDBDATABASE
      {
          HelpId = HID_PAGE_DBWIZARD_GENERAL_RB_CREATEDBDATABASE ;
          Pos = MAP_APPFONT (START_X + 6 , 85 )  ;
          Size = MAP_APPFONT ( 205 , 10 ) ;
          Group = TRUE;
          Text [ en-US ]  = "Create a n~ew database" ;
      };

has a height of 10, and looks good in the pictures I send you, but the
others

      RadioButton RB_OPENEXISTINGDOC
      {
          Pos = MAP_APPFONT (START_X + 6 , 97 );
          Size = MAP_APPFONT ( 206 , 8 ) ;
          Text [ en-US ]  = "Open an existing database ~file" ;
      };

      RadioButton RB_GETEXISTINGDATABASE
      {
                HelpId = HID_PAGE_DBWIZARD_GENERAL_RB_GETEXISTINGDATABASE;
          Pos = MAP_APPFONT (START_X + 6 , 159 )  ;
          Size = MAP_APPFONT ( 206 , 8 ) ;
          Text [ en-US ]  = "Connect to an e~xisting database" ;
      };

are 8 map height, thus looking bad.

It seems to affect ALL dialogs where checkboxes and radiobuttons are 8
map instead of 10; see for example

Address Book Data Source Wizard
extensions/source/abpilot/abspilot.src

        RadioButton RB_MORK
        {
                Pos             = MAP_APPFONT ( 15, 68 ) ;
                Size    = MAP_APPFONT ( WINDOW_SIZE_X - 30, 8 ) ;
                Group = TRUE;

                Text [ en-US ] = "Mozilla / Netscape";
        };
// All position & size/height data below this is not used
        RadioButton RB_THUNDERBIRD
        {
                Pos             = MAP_APPFONT ( 15, 79 ) ;
                Size    = MAP_APPFONT ( WINDOW_SIZE_X - 30, 8 ) ;

                Text [ en-US ] = "Thunderbird";
        };
        RadioButton RB_EVOLUTION
        {
                Pos             = MAP_APPFONT ( 15, 90 ) ;
                Size    = MAP_APPFONT ( WINDOW_SIZE_X - 30, 8 ) ;

                Text [ en-US ] = "Evolution";
        };
        RadioButton RB_EVOLUTION_GROUPWISE
        {
                Pos             = MAP_APPFONT ( 15, 90 ) ;
                Size    = MAP_APPFONT ( WINDOW_SIZE_X - 30, 8 ) ;

                Text [ en-US ] = "Groupwise";
        };
        RadioButton RB_EVOLUTION_LDAP
        {
                Pos             = MAP_APPFONT ( 15, 90 ) ;
                Size    = MAP_APPFONT ( WINDOW_SIZE_X - 30, 8 ) ;

                Text [ en-US ] = "Evolution LDAP";
        };
        RadioButton RB_KAB
        {
                Pos             = MAP_APPFONT ( 15, 101 ) ;
                Size    = MAP_APPFONT ( WINDOW_SIZE_X - 30, 8 ) ;

                Text [ en-US ] = "KDE address book";
        };
        RadioButton RB_MACAB
        {
                Pos             = MAP_APPFONT ( 15, 101 ) ;
                Size    = MAP_APPFONT ( WINDOW_SIZE_X - 30, 8 ) ;

                Text [ en-US ] = "Mac OS X address book";
        };
        RadioButton RB_LDAP
        {
                Pos             = MAP_APPFONT ( 15, 112 ) ;
                Size    = MAP_APPFONT ( WINDOW_SIZE_X - 30, 8 ) ;

                Text [ en-US ] = "LDAP address data";
        };
        RadioButton RB_OUTLOOK
        {
                Pos             = MAP_APPFONT ( 15, 123 ) ;
                Size    = MAP_APPFONT ( WINDOW_SIZE_X - 30, 8 ) ;

                Text [ en-US ] = "Outlook address book";
        };
        RadioButton RB_OUTLOOKEXPRESS
        {
                Pos             = MAP_APPFONT ( 15,134 ) ;
                Size    = MAP_APPFONT ( WINDOW_SIZE_X - 30, 8 ) ;

                Text [ en-US ] = "Windows system address book";
        };
        RadioButton RB_OTHER
        {
                Pos             = MAP_APPFONT ( 15, 145 ) ;
                Size    = MAP_APPFONT ( WINDOW_SIZE_X - 30, 8 ) ;

                Text [ en-US ] = "Other external data source";
        };
};

the RIGHT CONTROL DIMENSIONS [==looking good] are for example in

Tools - Options - OOo - Print
sfx2/source/dialog/printopt.src

If you see the pictures [3], looks like an issue... but application-wide

Shall I visit issue tracker?

Regards
Ariel.

[1] By the way, another documentation issue: in
http://specs.openoffice.org/installation/wizards/wizards_NewConcept.sxw
the buttons are 40 x 14, instead of 50 x 14 (!)
[2] if I'm not wrong, this tools is the go-oo source code, does OOo have
some similar search tool?
[3] the ones named with "_1" are the one the user send me

--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://www.ArielConstenlaHaile.com.ar/ooo/

"Aus der Kriegsschule des Lebens
                - Was mich nicht umbringt,
        macht mich härter."
                Nietzsche Götzendämmerung, Sprüche und Pfeile, 8.