Bob Kline a écrit :

Hi Bob,

I'm having a number of problems with getting OpenOffice's Base to do the right thing with this table, but the most frustrating is that when I create a form based on the table, then go to insert a new row using that form, I get an error message complaining that the Amount column cannot be NULL, even though I'm entering a value for that column.

This problem is occurring regardless of OOo version or client platform (e.g., OOo 2.3 on Ubuntu Gutsy, or OOo 2.0 on Windows NT). I'm telling OOo that the database is MySQL and I'm connecting over ODBC.

So the problem might lie with the ODBC driver version :-) You don't tell us which one you are using, and it does make a difference. I have not found an ODBC driver version provided by MySQL thus far that does not have some form of functional limitation when working with OOo. I can only hope that things will improve now that both products have developers under the same mothership roof :-))

Additionally, the Ubuntu versions of OOo are notoriously buggy, and unfortunately I have found that most of my problems have occurred when using the Base module (although there are quite a few in the Writer module too). I can't speak for the Windows versions per se, but the 2.0 version was also notoriously buggy in certain key areas of Base.
The other problems might be clues to what's causing the first problem, or they may be unrelated (by improbable coincidence). In the 2.3 OOo on Ubuntu, when I invoke the form wizard, the list of fields offered for inclusion on the form omits the Amount column (but the form wizard in OOo 2.0 on WinNT includes it). Also, both installations show the Amount column as "Text (fix) [ char ]" when I bring up Edit on the table definition, and trying to correct that doesn't stick (next time I open the Editing windows on the table definition, my Decimal 10, 2 is gone, and it's back to "Text (fix) [ char ]").

Is this a known bug (or bugs)?
I seem to recall that this is a known MySQL ODBC driver bug and incompatibilty between server version 5.0.x and the driver (datatype mapping problem).

http://forum.ubuntu-fr.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1438002
http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=11795
http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=11035

If not, I'll be happy to help track it down with whatever sleuthing I can perform on my end. I have addressed my own needs satisfactorily by moving the data into PostgreSQL, with which OOo does not appear to have the problems described above

Even postgresql isn't perfect, but at least the bugs appear to be consistent across driver versions, and working with postgresql and OOo has improved greatly over the years.

, so my interest in pursuing this just is to improve OOo. Since OOo works with PostgreSQL, and since I can successfully retrieve and manipulate the data in the MySQL table using the MySQL ODBC driver, I assume this is one of those problems which arises from defects in the way the two packages (OOo base and the ODBC driver) interact with each other.

Apparently, the solution is to use the latest MyODBC driver, well at least the 3.51.12 version.

Alex