Hello Barbara,

> Now, with 2.4.1, the GUI is having a great deal of trouble with these
> queries (at least sometimes). It tells me the query is too complex to be
> edited with the GUI, or if it shows it, the NOT LIKE vanishes from the
> condition leaving only '*/*' -- not at all what I want!

That sounds like worth an issue - care to submit one, with a small
sample database?

> I never really
> wanted that condition anyway, a simple IS EMPTY really ought to suffice.
> If I edit the SQL, the query works OK.

It sounds like you're confused by the difference between empty strings
and NULL values. In the UI, both look the same, yet to the database
engine they're different things.
Try a
  UPDATE <table_name> SET <field_name> = NULL WHERE <field_name> = ''
in Tools/SQL.

This will change all empty strings in your table to contain NULL, in
which case the IS EMPTY condition should be sufficient, again.

- Frank Schönheit, Software Engineer         [EMAIL PROTECTED] -
- OpenOffice.org Base                       http://dba.openoffice.org -