Frank Schönheit - Sun Microsystems Germany wrote:
Uhm - I remember we talked about this issue you encountered quite a
while ago, but I really don't know the current status. If it still
happens in 3.0 (expect an RC soon), then please submit an issue for this
problem, too.
I'll have to set up my system to have both 2.4.1 and 3.0 so I can play with 3.0. I know there are *big* changes in that release, and so far every time I upgrade some of my queries and other parts of my process stop working, so I'm pretty nervous about it! I couldn't say for sure if the extra blanks happened in 2.4.1, though, so I tried it there, and the text fields were fine after the copy/import, no TRIM needed (though of course I still had to change the empty strings to nulls). Don't know when that was fixed, but I'm glad it was.

By the way, the SQL you gave me fixed my problem with the "empty string not NULL" -- thanks! We always called those null strings, so I guess the semantics confused me, I expected a null string in a text field to test as NULL. And it used to, because I didn't encounter any problem with my IS EMPTY queries when I first did the copy/import/trim thing. Maybe the import wizard used to treat them as a special case and turn them into NULLs? Wish it did now, maybe I could request that in an RFE? I also checked to see if a criterion of '' (two single quotes) would work to accept the empty strings, and it didn't, though it was accepted by the GUI and reflected in the SQL as I'd expect (so Base parsing the SQL rather than passing it through to HSQLdb made a difference here). As you may have gathered, I'd like to be able to work entirely within the GUI, and I'm probably not alone.