Hi,

> Querying the V5R3 server, I see the expected results from the V5R3
> server in both both Base (direct entry of SQL) and Calc (the Data
> Source Browser and the spreadsheet).  However, from the V5R2 server,
> the three columns derived with char() show no useful information: in
> the result of direct entry of SQL in Base and in the Data Source
> Browser they show "<OBJECT>", and in the spreadsheet they show "#N/A"

Can't answer your question with respect to AS400 stuff, but in my experience
with MySQL dbs, <OBJECT> items shown in the DSB or SQL query results often come
from either Base's incapability to deal with the data object it is being
presented by the driver or a problem with the driver itself and the data it is
getting from the server.

> I wonder if this behaviour is right.  And if it is wrong, does anybody
> care, given the age of V5R2?  V6R1 of the o/s has been in production
> for a couple of years, and V7R1 is anticipated shortly.  In short, is
> this a candidate for a bug report?

The question for me would be whether the problem still exists in V6R1 ?

Alex