Good evening,

I hope I'm in the right spot here, I was directed to this mailing-list
by Mechthilde Stehmann.

I'm using OO 3.3 RC6 on OSX Snow Leopard to connect to an Oracle 11gR2
database using the latest Oracle JDBC driver. RC6 because 3.2.1 still
has this issue with Java ever since Apple changed the Java
infrastructure.

I have problems accessing large tables, via F4 - data sources in Calc
- and via the Data Pilot in Calc as well.
Accessing a few thousand rows works just fine, however, I got one
table with about 1.2 mio. rows at 11 columns.

Accessing those using the Data Pilot - and loading the whole table
instead of applying a SQL-query - results either in a crash - or,
sometimes, after waiting for about half an hour - an empty spreadsheet
and a non-functional GUI. That means, the menu still works - i can
click on any menu-item, but nothing happens. Calc is pretty much dead
at this point, only killing it helps.

Accessing it through F4 - data sources - works ok, until I hit the "go
to last row" button - the one which looks like >| . In that case Calc
will hang for a while, then force it's screen to the Desktop's
forground, accepting a single click without doing nothing, just to
freeze again for about 30 seconds. However, it won't advance to the
next row in the data view or even jump down to the last row as
requested. When it freezes, it utilizes a full core, but not so much
memory. I didn't observe any significant network-traffic at this
point.

I'm accessing the Oracle instance over the network and though it's a
gigabit-network I haven't seen Calc utilize more than about 200 kb/s -
slowly degrading to 0. That's the point where it crashes.

OK, I'm not sure if Calc was made for my certain usecase or for that
much data at all - but I thought I'll give you a hint that issues
exists. Unfortunately Calc never asked to send an online bug-report,
it was only OSX itself which is sending out crash-reports - to Apple,
which is probably of no use for you.

So, what should I be supplying for a bug report? And against what
stream should I write a report?

If anyone want's to give it a try, I can arrange for access to this
very database (with some restrictions, contact me off-list for
details).

Thanks a lot in advance,
Cheers, Alex.

P.S.: Just seconds ago i was pointed to 3.3 RC7. I will give it a try.

--
"We Do What We Must Because We Can"
 -- Aperture Science