2010/12/1 Frank Schönheit <frank.schoenh...@oracle.com>:
> Hello Alexander,

Good evening!

First, thanks to everyone to offer your help. I was quite busy lately,
but I also got the chance to test out a few things. First, RC7 showed
the same results on both, OSX and Linux. I also tested an older
version (I forgot which, some 3.1.x, the one which is currently
shipped with CentOS 5.5) - with the same results.

>> Accessing a few thousand rows works just fine, however, I got one
>> table with about 1.2 mio. rows at 11 columns.
>> OK, I'm not sure if Calc was made for my certain usecase or for that
>> much data at all - but I thought I'll give you a hint that issues
>> exists.
>
> Honestly, accessing 1.2 mio. rows is ... stretching Base's limits. I am
> not surprised at all OOo doesn't handle this - I don't think our code
> base is prepared for that stunning amount of data.

I already thought so; I just helped myself and did the right thing;
aggregating and limiting the data using a query and then calling the
query from OOo Calc. I should've done that in the first place, but I
was in a rush of banging out a few quick diagrams.
To be honest, I was about to abuse Calc for a task it wasn't made for
- I'm currently reverse-engineering a rather bitchy DB-schema and I
just needed a data-viewer which was also able to create some diagrams
rather quickly.

>> So, what should I be supplying for a bug report? And against what
>> stream should I write a report?
>
> You might want to submit a report at
> http://qa.openoffice.org/issue_handling/pre_submission.html. Though the
> reality is that allowing OOo to cope with that kind of data might
> require a major overhaul, which will not be done without a pressing need
> - which makes it rather unlikely that the problem will be fixed in a
> foreseeable future.

Yeah, you're probably right. But thanks a lot for the help!

> Ciao
> Frank

Cheers, Alex.

--