hi mark,

imo the chance that you create useful tests with openejb is way higher
(independent of the server used for the real application).
what you suggest is what we used several years ago.
(back then there was nothing like deltaspike-cdictrl-openejb +
CdiTestRunner -> back then it was way better than the other alternatives,
but you had to pay attention to several limitations. today it doesn't make
a lot of sense to use those old workarounds any longer.)

regards,
gerhard