T. J. Frazier wrote:
> Clayton wrote:
>>
>> If this kind of error is caught right away, then the right solution
>> would be to restore the moved page, and make a copy for the
>> edit/translation.
>>
>> C.
> When Wp Help:Redirect told me that it takes an administrator to cancel a
> redirect, I bowed out and asked for your help. But I am, like Elephant's
> Child, 'satiably curious:
>
> My inclination was to copy-&-paste the current French, and the French
> link, off-line; then Undo the French edits, and see what I had, and
> where I had it, and proceed accordingly.
>
> Would you take the time to detail the "right solution"?

The right solution... is there one? :-)

Pages that are up for translation should never be moved... just copied.
 It happens though because people don't realize what the move actually
does - it looks like it copied the original, leaving the original
behind.  They move the page to a new title, then check the original and
it appears to still be there - but.. they miss the fact that they are
looking at a redirect.  It will happen less as the community works more
with the Wiki and people learn how MediaWiki works.

If an incorrect move is caught right away - before edits/translations
are done - a simple rollback will correct the problem.  I would call
this the right solution.

If, as in the case that started this email thread, the move is not
caught until after a lot of edits are done on the moved/translated page,
then the recovery of the original text takes a bit more work.  This is
what I did:

  1. Scan back through the history of the translated/moved page until I
found the last version of the original text.

  2. Edit that version and copy the entire Wiki page contents (you can
paste into a temporary/local text document just to be sure you don't
lose the text)

  3. Go to/edit the redirect page - this page will have only one line of
text on it, something like:
      #redirect [[Some_wiki_link]]

  4. Remove/delete the redirect line, paste in the original text, and
save the edits.

As Nino noted, this will mean that the edit history is lost (history
follows the move) but one way or the other, after a move with many
edits, one of the two pages will lose all of the history.  I could have
also rolled back all of the translations, and then created a new
translated page with the final/last content that was translated.  The
the original page retains the history, but the translated page has none.

C.
--
Clayton Cornell       ccorn...@openoffice.org
OpenOffice.org Documentation Project co-lead