On Wednesday 02 September 2009 12:13, Martina Waller wrote:
> Clayton schrieb:
> > Nino Novak wrote:
> > > [...]
> > H1 is still valid MediaWiki syntax, so it can still be used even if
> > major MediaWiki installs are trying to phase it out.
> >
> > Generally speaking, the specific Wiki docs I work on do not have
> > H1... all start at H2.
> >
> > C.
>
> I remember that this question came up in another mail group but I
> cannot find the thread anymore. I know there are docs starting with
> H1 but they shouldn't. If you look at the styles page with wiki style
> examples at
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Dashboard/Styl
>es you see that the first heading level mentioned is = = heading = =
> with correponds to H2.

AFAIR the rationale was/is header hierarchy:

page title = h1
page content = h2..h6

if h1 header is used for content, you loose this hierarchy. In page
transclusion or wikibook generation, this should confuse the toc of the
transcluding page (never tested it).

For me, it seems quite natural to keep the hierarchy this way - but it's
not intuitive to have to know it when editing wiki pages.

Nino