Martin Srebotnjak wrote:
2009/9/7 Frank Peters <f...@sun.com>:
Specifically, getting rid of the 6-blanks strings in the CWS should be
easy, assuming that there are no legitimate instances of such a thing.
Any such validation must be based on rules, we need to define so we do
not by accident "fix" bugs that are no bugs. Some come to mind:

- No trailing spaces in a <paragraph>
- No empty elements except for <br/>
- Adjacent elements need to be merged:

[...]

But what worries me most (I guess the blanks can and will be taken
care easily) are massive change of tags like:
<emph> -> <item type=\"menuitem\">
I can only get a heart attack thinking if what just now happened in
helpcontent2/source/text/swriter/guide.po (there were around 1000
changed strings out of 2100, mostly with these tags changed and some 6
or 9-blanks added) would happen to other help files. There would be
10.000's strings that all translators would need to manually edit.

The emph > item change, I cannot explain. I will talk to Uwe how
this could have happened.

[...]

Please, keep this in mind
when you decide what to do with changes in m51 and m57 and further
steps in changing tags in these files. Changing 2000 help strings,
some intentionally by just replacing tags and some by mistake of
adding blanks mean same as 2000 new untranslated strings.

I doubt that Uwe intentionally replaced 1,000 tags. He does this
job for more than a decade now and he is well aware of the
effect this has on localization.

So if such tag changes are planned, a special CWS could be created,
where *all* such tags should be replaced, then all current SDF files
from all translation teams should be delivered by the translation
teams to Hamburg where they would use this special super-trouper
command line tool that would replicate all the tag changes in
translations as well (this would most probably be an error prone
procedure, but at least it would change most of the changes correctly;
I guess 95% success would be more than enough, if those error likely
strings would get marked as fuzzy). Then CWS would be published in an
mXY and teams would get their SDF->po files back and continue their
business as usual. If that is possible.

Yes, absolutely, and I have raised this approach before. Such "generic"
changes should be done on source and SDF automatically.

Frank

--
Frank Peters

The OOo Documentation Project: