On 02/23/10 20:24, Claire Wood wrote:
I tried experimenting with one of the wiki pages putting a button on
using AddThis (http://www.addthis.com/) and I couldn't get it to work on the
wiki page.  There are users on twitter and I see them all the time.  There
are also 75 groups on facebook all dedicated to OpenOffice.org.  Just think
this is another way to reach out to users.  Can anyone give me some advice
where I should put the free code that is outputted from the site because
I've never seen <body></body> tags in a wiki page and apparently that's
where they should go or somewhere in the template.

An example of the code that is outputted is below.  I just went through the
website to create a button but didn't register an account.

Hi Claire.

Basically, the code you tried to paste in is not something that will work on MediaWiki - the code you tried to use is designed for "real" webpages.

To use AddThis on every page, we'd have to edit the MediaWiki skin files, and inject the code into the php that is used to define the skin layout. This solution is... not so nice.

There is a MediaWiki widget extension I could install:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Widget
which can then be used with this Widget code:
http://www.mediawikiwidgets.org/AddThis

The AddThis button then is shown wherever you insert this code in a Wiki page.

The problem, if you can call it that, with this solution is that we really have no control of consistency or placement with the Widget method.

Thoughts or comments on this?

I can install the extension and we can try it out... but I'd like your input on this before I run off and start installing things like this ;-)

C.
--
Clayton Cornell       ccorn...@openoffice.org
OpenOffice.org Documentation Project co-lead