Hi,

while reviewing your projects activity as part of my board duties, I came to
notice, that the dev-list is in an almost unusable state.

The vast majority of all emails are auto-generated emails from GitHub.

The way the replication is setup per default makes these emails impossible to
follow and display in any email client I tried to read it on. After a lot of
persuasion Infra introduced a new feature into the .asf.yml to allow custom
templates for these auto-generated emails.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INFRA/Git+-+.asf.yaml+features#Git.asf.yamlfeatures-CustomsubjectlinesforGitHubevents

In the PLC4X Project we used these settings to drastically reformat the subject
lines of all GitHub emails.

https://github.com/apache/plc4x/blob/develop/.asf.yaml#L62

With this we can now read the start of the title in typical columnar layouted
email clients as well on phones and the clients are able to do correct
threading.

Perhaps worth discussing to adopt these or similar changes.

The way the list is currently, I doubt anyone is reading it and it makes it
impossible for outsiders to get started … well … and it makes it hard for the
board to execute it’s oversight.

As I said in the subject … it’s not an order to change anything, but a friendly
suggestion.

Chris