On Fri, 21 Jun 2019 at 18:38, Gian Merlino <g...@apache.org> wrote:

> The effect should be giving us an
> open issues list that more accurately respects the issues that people in
> the community feel are important.

The list would still be too long to be comprehensible or digestible for
anybody, nor that anyone is expected to go through the full list at any
time.

I see the value of nudging PR authors to push their work through rather
than abandon PRs in pursuit of something new, hoping to return to the older
PRs later (which will likely never happen) - that is, to avoid this
psychological fallacy.

But I don't see the same value for issues. Personally, I open many issues
which I don't really plan to work on in any foreseeable future, just to
record my ideas and thoughts so that they can be discovered by other
developers (and myself) later, and referenced to from future discussions,
issues, and PRs. I see a real practical value in it, as I routinely link to
my own old issues (and re-read them, refreshing my old thoughts on the
topic) in Druid development. I don't want to take on a burden of regularly
repel the stalebot from all of these issues.

> As more and more work piles up, it becomes paralyzing.

What I suggest is to embrace the fact that open issues list will grow as
long as the project exists and don't be paralyzed. Why would a number in a
circle in Github interface paralyze anybody from doing work, anyway?

> Just making decisions about what work should and shouldn't get
> done can exhaust all available resources.

This statement doesn't make sense to me as well as the previous one. I
actually agree that priorities and focus is an important issue for a
project like Druid where there are a lot of directions in which it can be
improved and it's hard to choose (predict) the direction with the highest
ROI. But I don't see how going down from 1000 to 100 open issues would help
with this challenge at all.

As a compromise approach, I suggest to auto-tag issues as "Shelved",
although, personally, I don't see the point in that either, but if other
people want to see if there is any recent activity on the issue, it might
be helpful.