Felix Meschberger wrote:
Hi,

Richard S. Hall schrieb:
Felix Meschberger wrote:
Hi,

Richard S. Hall schrieb:
Regarding the NOTICE file, I don't think we want the "originally developed" stuff in there. That was the whole point of the IP clearance, so that this can be claimed to be Apache software. To acknowledge Deiter, we should use one of the other approaches that I mentioned in my other email message.

In other projects we also have this "originally developed" signature in the NOTICE files for code we imported into the respective project. Of course the official part is done by the IP clearance, but I think we should still state that the original code came from the outside.

I disagree here, because it potentially gives reason for concern about who actually "owns" the code. Since Dieter contributed the code to Apache, it is now Apache code so it should be listed as such. The NOTICE file, in my view, is not the place to try to give credit to contributors since there are lot of potential contributors to all code contained in a release. We have certainly not done this in any other NOTICE file. Perhaps we can get some more opinions.

I disagree, too ;-)

The NOTICE file is exactly the place to record such code origins. We do this for various reasons currently, e.g. when we include OSGi API packages or KXml2 classes.

To also record the original authorship of the code is just another such reference case. But I see your point about confusion (I don't think it is a big issue, though). So what do you think of the following extension:

    Contains code originally developed and contributed to the
    Apache Felix project by Dieter Wimberger

Well, I would still not be in favor of this, since it is does not follow past precedent in Felix. We specifically started a contributor page for this very reason.