Dieter Wimberger wrote:
Richard, Felix:

I think that the ICLA I signed and sent to the Apache Foundation Secretary cleary states the legal terms of the contribution.

Given paragraph 2. Grant of Copyright License, I am granting the Apache Foundation and all recipients of the software distributed by the Foundation an irrevocable right to reproduce, prepare derivative works of, publicly display, publicly perform, sublicense, and distribute the contribution.

In legal terms, to my understanding, I will still be owner of my original contribution and can do as I please with it (e.g. grant another license).

Now, given that the contribution is mainly code, I would simply suggest that my @author tag in the javadoc of the corresponding files and derivatives is retained. The code and especially derivatives should actually be placed under Apache License and ASF copyright; I guess this is also what you do with the committers code contributions, or?

I was told that at Apache we don't keep @author tags in the code, since the code belongs to the community. There are also pragmatic issues with this, since there are often lots of authors and over time the original code can be removed and/or replaced, so it is somewhat difficult to maintain.

From a maintenance standpoint alone, I would like to avoid @author tags.

Beside the code, I think a list of contributors and committers seems to be the best way to give credits; this is also the way it has been done in other Apache projects I have contributed to.

To give an example, the commons-collections project seems to keep their developers (= comitters) and contributors in the POM file, using a section like:
<developers>
  <developer>
   <id>fmeschbe</id>
   <name>Felix Meschberger</name>
  </developer>
</developers>
<contributors>
  <contributor>
    <name>Dieter Wimberger</name>
  </contributor>
</contributors>

Probably this is the best way to handle this in the right place and be able to generate something from it (opposed to an unstructured NOTICE text file).

I agree that something like this would be a preferred approach.

-> richard

Regards,
Dieter