> AFAIK, there is no domain called org.apache.felix.karaf.jaas. What if
> someone else actually owns such a domain name and now wants to publish some
> artifacts under that groupId?

They would have to control Apache DNS servers!  :-)

Seriously though, I see merits in both sides of this conversation, but the
fact is that each project (and in this case, maybe even sub-projects) has
different needs.  Many other projects employ a combination of the 2
approaches talked about here and there are no real hard and fast
requirements for maven groupId naming.  The Maven developers themselves
don't even strictly follow the groupId == reverse domain recommendation. (
http://repo2.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/maven/wagon/)  IMHO that is an
oversimplified interpretation of what is said on that page.

So I don't think there is a right or wrong answer.  Must we really spend
time pursuing these pedantic discussions when there is little or no
constructive outcome no matter what the end result is?

Chris

--
Chris Custine
FUSESource :: http://fusesource.com

On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 12:59 PM, Sahoo <sa...@sun.com> wrote:

> AFAIK, there is no domain called org.apache.felix.karaf.jaas. What if
> someone else actually owns such a domain name and now wants to publish some
> artifacts under that groupId?
>
> Thanks,
> Sahoo
>

> Guillaume Nodet wrote:
>
>> One could argue the domain name is org.apache, so it's clearly controlled.
>>
>> On Wednesday, May 5, 2010, Sahoo <sa...@sun.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Is there a domain name for each of those groupIds? Unless one controls
>>> the domain name, it should not be used as the groupId as per [1]. So, I
>>> would expect all the groupIds to be org.apache.felix for all Felix
>>> subprojects.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Sahoo
>>>
>>> [1]
>>> http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-central-repository-upload.html
>>>
>>> Guillaume Nodet wrote:
>>>
>>> btw, even in karaf, we have sub-sub groupids, for example:
>>>   org.apache.felix.karaf.jaas
>>>
>>> On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 17:38, Guillaume Nodet <gno...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>

>>> Yes, you don't end up with 100s of jars in org.apache.felix,
>>> so it's better categorized.
>>>
>>> On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 17:20, Richard S. Hall <he...@ungoverned.org
>>>

>>> I noticed while poking around Gogo that its Maven groupId is:
>>>
>>>   org.apache.felix.gogo
>>>
>>> While most other subprojects are:
>>>
>>>   org.apache.felix
>>>
>>> Apparently, Karaf also creates its own groupId. I guess I was under the
>>> assumption that all subprojects were using the same groupId. It doesn't
>>> seem
>>> necessary, even if you have multiple modules, since for example iPOJO has
>>> multiple modules, but still uses org.apache.felix.
>>>
>>> I realize the groupId doesn't really have much impact, but it does make
>>> it
>>> somewhat confusing to know which is the correct groupId to use for a
>>> given
>>> subproject. So, from that perspective it seems easier and more consistent