Comments inline...

On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 3:44 PM, Richard S. Hall <he...@ungoverned.org>wrote:

> I agree that this isn't the most important topic in the world, but so far
> the conversation has been pretty calm so I don't think the discussion has
> given cause for concern.
>
> For me, it comes down to a matter of consistency. I don't want each
> subproject making some arbitrary decision to use their own sub-groupId just
> because they can. This just makes life difficult on a daily basic when
> trying to specify dependencies in pom files. It would be nice to have some
> understanding of when this make sense, e.g., why wouldn't I create a groupId
> of org.apache.felix.fileinstall for File Install to give it "its own
> identity"?

I totally agree with you on being consistent, and I guess I hadn't noticed
that we are diverging from the other Felix projects.  I think when we moved
Karaf over from ServiceMix Kernel we just kept the naming convention we had
in place and I'm not sure we thought about it much at the time.  I think
that alone makes it something we need to consider.

> Personally, I think people are placing too much value on having their own
> groupId, since the only place this really matters is if you are browsing a
> Maven repo.

I'm sure there is something wrong with my dev workflow, but I spend a fair
amount of time each day browsing maven repositories.  I call it Maven
spelunking  ;-)

I guess its just a personal thing, but like Guillaume, I just prefer a more
hierarchical organization as opposed to a flat group with dozens or hundreds
of artifacts.  I can't come up with a good technical argument for either
approach, but for the sake of consistency I think we should take a look.