On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 10:38 AM, Richard S. Hall <he...@ungoverned.org>wrote:

> On 05/25/2011 09:23 PM, jie yan wrote:
>
>> Maybe that can be called religious flame war, but it's valuable. What we
>> really need in open community is simple and perfect product in technology,
>> but not many repeat manufacturing wheels like some outside companies.
>>

> When implementing any software there are design trade-offs as well as
> different focuses and goals. So, even though the wheel may look like a
> reinvention, it is not generally the exact same wheel, only similar. While
> it would be great if we could always agree on a single design and set of
> trade-offs, the likelihood of that is slim.
>
> I agree with that.

The current problem maybe that, we cannot easily see enough information
about the trade-offs of each design and comparisons of them.

We can also dive into the application and implementation of each solution,
to find out the better one, to love and support one of them, or even to
reinvent a better one based on existing design.
While that's quite high cost, if there are no enough comparative information
about design trade-offs that can be easily accessed.

Regards,
drhades

-> richard