> On 23 Dec 2016, at 12:30, David Bosschaert <david.bosscha...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Bram,
>
> On 23 December 2016 at 11:02, Bram Pouwelse <b...@pouwelse.com> wrote:
>
>>> I think it would be nice if we could relax the policy at [1] a little bit
>> and say that it is ok to release bundles with provisional API in versions <
>> 1.0. The OSGi APIs always start their versions at 1.0 so an API version 0.2
>> will never conflict with an OSGi released API.
>>
>> That sounds nice but you can't have major changes in the provisional API
>> (or you'd loose semantic versioning).
>>

> There is a somewhat unwritten convention that API < 1.0 is 'experimental'
> and therefore that exported API in versions [0.0, 1.0) does not follow
> semantic versioning... Basically what you're signing up to by using this
> 'provisional' API which has a version < 1.0 is that anything could change…

Why not go for the empty version of 0.0.0 for such APIs then? I understand
that there’s a need to express the fact that an API is still actively being
developed and not yet final, but using versions in the range of [0,1) would
make stuff just more complex given that they loose all semantics and are
only “informational” for humans to parse and comprehend.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten | Kind regards

Jan Willem Janssen | Software Architect
+31 631 765 814

My world is something with Amdatu and Apache

Luminis Technologies
Churchillplein 1
7314 BZ  Apeldoorn
+31 88 586 46 00