On 03.01.2017 10:46, David Bosschaert wrote:
Hi Richard,

On 23 December 2016 at 19:19, Richard S. Hall <he...@ungoverned.org> wrote:

I'm not for changing the policy. The whole point behind the policy is that
anything that we released is in some way blessed and lives forever. If we
release packages in the OSGi namespace, they look official even potentially
after the OSGi Alliance dumps an RFC (ala Gogo). There is no way for us to
retract a release.

There will be org.osgi.something API but it will be with a version < 1,
like 0.1 or something like that. Additionally it will have the mandatory
attribute on it as discussed above something like provisional="felix". The
fact that the version is less than one means that it will never clash with
OSGi released API. These two factors mean that nobody will accidentally use
this API. The users will have to put the mandatory attribute on the import
in order to use it.
Why do we need the mandatory provisional attribute? With the version < 1 we already ensure that we have a clean cut when the
final API is released.

I think this extra protection only makes it harder to use the API.

Christian

--
Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de