On 1/15/13 4:09 PM, "Guthmann, Scott" <sguthm...@on3solutions.com> wrote:

>> Another mention here on ZDNet:
>> http://www.zdnet.com/apache-moves-flex-forward-should-flash-be-next-700000984
>> 3/
>> Perhaps we come up with an "official" short statement with a link back to the
>> apache flex site to add to many of these articles?
>> Thanks,
>> Justin
>
> I do not think that an official short statement is the right path.
>
> IMO, the writers are interested in providing information to their readers
> obtained from someone with an authoritative voice => a persuasive opinion, if
> you will.
> .....And there's the rub. Who can speak for Apache Flex?
I looked around and couldn't find a definitive set of rules for "who can
speak for Apache Flex".  I would like to see any community member who is
interested do any interview.  I suppose they need to make it clear they are
not speaking on behalf of the project.  I'm willing to do a few interviews
if needed.  But a web page of press-related FAQ might be a good thing for us
to put together.  It won't eliminate the need for interviews, but will save
time answering common questions.

> We can attempt to answer some of the questions that the author poses in the
> article you linked to:
>> "The future of Adobe Flash, and of course Flex, has been heavily debated with
>> the emergence of HTML 5 and other web app dev technologies. Nevertheless,
>> there are strong backers who maintain that there's still a place for Flash
>> and Flex.  Flex was
>> donated to the ASF in late 2011."
> 1) What is the future of Flash and what is the future of Flex?
Adobe has published its roadmap for Flash.  We are not making predictions
for Flex, the press release describes things we are working on.
> 2) How does the emergence of the current state of HTML5 and other web app dev
> technologies change this future?
We will go where the community takes us.
> 3) Who are the strong backers who maintain that there's still a place for
> Flash and Flex and why are they right or wrong?
Flex is investigating being independent of Flash and if successful, will
hopefully pick up some new supporters or bring back some old ones who have
large code bases to migrate.

> And yet more questions that we can't answer are also posed in the article:
>> "Might be nice for Adobe to donate Flash to the ASP, though it's not clear
>> how much of the proprietary Flash and AIR components are part of the
>> company's new lineup of HTML5-based Edge tools."
> 1) Would donating Flash to the ASP be a good path for Adobe?
Have to ask Adobe.
> 2) Are the proprietary components of Flash and AIR part of the company's new
> lineup of HTML5-based Edge tools?
Have to ask Adobe, but I think not.
> 3) Is Adobe still confident that donating Flex to the ASF was the right move?
Have to ask Adobe, but I'm pretty sure they will say yes.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team