Dan.

If you are not using a proxy service like BlazeDS... anything other than an
HTTP200 is going to cause your Flex application fits. If you are looking for
the notion of a 'successful failure' where an operation completed (e.g. a
partial save) but had errors. You'll need to implement the semantics of that
condition yourself - Flex is relegated to either a result or fault.

If you've considered pushing elements into HTTP headers... remember that custom
HTTP request headers are only supported for POST requests, not for GET
requests.

http://verveguy.blogspot.com/2008/07/truth-about-flex-httpservice.html

Additionally, heavy restrictions have been placed on HTTP headers in Flash
Player 9.0+ and may get worse. So... your mileage will depend on which headers
you want to touch.

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/authorization-header-request-flash-player.html

If you have a concrete use-case, we might be able to hammer out an approach
that works reliably. What exactly did you have in mind?

Cheers,

Rick Winscot