1) Looking at JIRA ticket, what changes to Git were related

Time ago, Bertrand commented a JIRA ticket [1] to activate FishEye on JIRA for the Flex project but it has been closed, sending us to Altassian but nothing has been done on that way, so, I opened a FishEye ticket [2] following the instructions there [3]

2) Looking at GIT log to see what JIRA issues got fixed (in order to update
release notes or when someone asks if a release contains a fix)

In order to make FishEye to track our commits, the Git log should contain the JIRA Ticket id, a list of links to the files added to the commit will then be shown in the JIRA issue under the source tab.

3) Determining if a release contains a particular commit/push

A way could be to have a script to parse JIRA and check what was resolved since the last release, personaly, I never did it but I know that's possible.

4) Monotonically increasing build numbers for version checking
Can we solve #3 and #4 by substituting YYYYMMDD as the build number?

Yes, that's maybe the way to solve #3 and #4

I saw suggestions that you name branches with the JIRA issue. I assume that is because the branch name shows up automatically in the log when pushed?
Otherwise it is just a convention and folks will make mistakes.

In all the middle and big companies I worked for, it was use like that by convention, it's easier to retreive my branch if I use the JIRA Ticket ID as I can have several open on several projects, ok, maybe not for Flex :)

Could we put a URL to the log message or even commit email in the JIRA issue?

Until the FishEye issue is not resolved, I guess yes, and we should write the JIRA id as well in the log of the commit, like that, when resolved, we'll have an uniform way to see the things, it still to be determinate if svn and git could work could be tracked by the same FishEye instance, I'll ask them as soon they'll answer, currently, the status changed to investigating.

-Fred

[2] https://support.atlassian.com/browse/JST-59433
[3] https://cwiki.apache.org/INFRA/infra-faq.html

-----Message d'origine----- From: Alex Harui
Let's stop for a second and identify what problems we are trying to solve.
I think there are actually several.  I can think of:

1) Looking at JIRA ticket, what changes to Git were related
2) Looking at GIT log to see what JIRA issues got fixed (in order to update
release notes or when someone asks if a release contains a fix)
3) Determining if a release contains a particular commit/push
4) Monotonically increasing build numbers for version checking

It looks like folks solve #4 by counting commits to master.  I guess that's
ok, but doesn't really seem that helpful.  Can we solve #3 and #4 by
substituting YYYYMMDD as the build number?  I think it solves #2 as well:
you can see if the log shows the JIRA issue before the date decoded from the
build number.

For #1, knowing the hash or partial hash still doesn't give you a sense for
when it happened.  I suppose we could use dates here as well to at least
bracket what changes and assuming the log mentions the JIRA issue.