IMO, Fred had it right.

There are some files that go in the release distribution that we left
sitting around in SVN, but they were in fact generated.  Often folks would
mistakenly edit the generated file and then wonder why their changes didn't
take.  I haven't researched bundles.properties, but I'm pretty sure:

1) flex-sdk-description.xml is autogenerated from a build.xml
2) spark/manifest.xml is copied from frameworks/spark-manifest.xml

The latter burned me once when trying to add a new component to spark swc.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team