It's not irrational for Adobe to give away their runtime. They make money
on it through DRM in video and other avenues. It's what they call a loss
leader or as you want to call it now freemium. They also make tools that
publish to it eg Flash Professional, FB, Flash Catalyst (rip), Illustrator
(publish to SWF), Photoshop (publish to SWF), Premiere (publish to SWF).
And once you have a SWF you can do many things with it including publish to
mobile, desktop and upload to the web. It also needs to be free for
adoption by users and developers.

You can think more of Flash and AIR as a browser that renders the content
you give it. In that sense there is Firefox, Safari, IE and Chrome that
render and run HTML. Flash and AIR render and run SWF and can run inside
other browsers. In that sense it is a platform like the browsers that run
content. Adobe could have made their own browser at one point like Google
made Chrome and had an app store like Chrome and monetized it. They missed
that boat IMO. It's possible but would require a lot of marketing and
salvaging to get that to model to work. They could do it and it would be
amazing. But they don't know how to market and it would require a lot of
positive marketing and positioning.

The other thing is Adobe kills the products it doesn't understand or maybe
they look at the figures of products and say they aren't doing well. For
example, Flash Catalyst may not have had a lot of numbers. Or developers
are using AIR for gaming and video so let's focus on those two things for
the future. Instead they should be asking themselves maybe we didn't market
Flash Catalyst well since the feedback was what is it used for and maybe we
should find out from developers why most of the AIR apps were gaming and
not applications. BTW I'm speculating here.

One of the things Adobe did years ahead of the crowd was setup a
marketplace. This is before the App store, Google Play store and Amazon
store. They focused on components, plugins and filters. I don't think they
had apps. But they didn't handle the transactions and I know a few
developers including myself said this was an issue but apparently that
message didn't get to the right people. I knew a few developers selling
components and besides working on the components we had to create online
stores, online websites, setup advertising and more and without that
support it was too much work. If they would have stuck with it and made
improvements we might be in a different place by now. Anyway, the Apple App
store came along and took care of a few of the main pain points about the
business (and many other things) so that let developers focus on
development. I'm ranting again. I don't know what my point was. Oh yeah,
they should continue to improve FB and improve their marketing team and
promote what we all know is a
valuable-ahead-of-it's-time-so-don't-kill-it-but-wait-for-the-rest-of-the-industry-to-catch-up-and-continue-to-improve-it
technology.