On 2/24/14 10:36 PM, "Justin Mclean" <jus...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>> But the changes you are hoping to track are really results of properly
>> changing something else that generates the version files?
>
>No in this case the regular expression in the build file was wrong as it
>assumed single digit version numbers. So the generated files changed
>without any changes to the file that generated it.
OK, but how would having these files in version control have caught this
problem unless you bothered to look at the diffs before checking them in?
I wouldn't have noticed by reading the commit email.  That's why it feels
like an automated test might be better.

IMO, having the build script modify a file in version control is also bad.
 Is that what is happening with Version.as?  It should probably take a
-template file and insert instead of some error-prone regex to find and
replace something.

But hey, it's just my opinion.  I'll revisit if I ever find time to create
some tests.