Hi,

> OK, but how would having these files in version control have caught this
> problem unless you bothered to look at the diffs before checking them in?
Yes I always check the diffs and in fact most UIs (eg sourcetree) show you the
diffs before checking in.

> I wouldn't have noticed by reading the commit email.  That's why it feels
> like an automated test might be better.
An automated test would also work but a test need to check for everything. It
seemed unlikely that that regex would fail at some point but it did, the same
can be said for a test (in it potentially giving false positives).