In all honesty, what I would envision as Flex 5 would continue the work
done for FlexJS with the compiler to allow us to write once and compile to
multiple target runtimes. Unfortunately, right now we are pretty limited in
viable runtime options for mass deployment, either to the Flash Player or
to the browser via the JS virtual machine. I wish that the Dart VM was
widespread enough for it to be a viable target, as that would yield
significant performance improvements over JavaScript, but I think we all
know that will never happen.

That being said, I think it would be very interesting to see how difficult
it would be to build a version of Flex that would allow us to target
Xamarin/Unity via Mono, to get away from the dependency on Adobe ( no
offense to Alex and company ). That would allow us to target the web via
either the Unity player plugin or Canvas, and mobile devices with a very
high performance runtime.