Java Spring is a very good example for framework evolving, for Flex, I
think it is the similar situation:

The key function is
1) Mxml
2)Binding
3)Data structure such as IList implementations

on top of Mxml/Binding/Data is 1) UIComponent 2) Skinning 3)network
components

and then  osmf, reporting, text ....

I think from Flex5, we should modularize these into different kinds of
projects:

1) Flex data, to provide an infrastructure for 1) mxml -> as generation, 2)
reactive programming(Binding); 3) related data structures;

2) Based on Flex data, Flex UI, to provide the basic UI implementation( in
Flex4 skinning way ), could be multi projects.

3) Based on Flex data, Network/Native components, http, websocket and peer
to peer, native devices communications.

and then projects that specified in different fields: video, text,
reporting ....

I see Flex as a tool sets to solve complex user interface, so Flash player
is the only way to work in desktop web, so the language has to express at
least as much as AS3, so if possible, using Java as a language will be
enough to downgrade into most other languages.

Just a little thought.

-Gary