It is conceivable that the FlexJS compilers will be 1.0 ready by end of
2015.  I think we’ll have a decent set of widgets by then as well.  The
big ticket items for 2015 is virtual lists/datagrids/tree.  And then
there’s a text layout package.

Now FlexJS doesn’t just compile its own set of widgets.  The idea is that
ActionScript and MXML are great ways to assemble any framework into an
app.  If you can wrap a JS UI framework with AS APIs and emulate the JS
framework in AS, then you can build your app in FlexJS and the output will
use the JS UI framework with as little overhead as possible.  We’ve tried
it with bits of Jquery, CreateJS, and Cordova already.

So, if there is a JS text layout engine you can use and approximate it in
AS, then you can use FlexJS to assemble the application and, in theory,
save time by having a better language and tool chain that will catch
errors sooner.

Now, I would love to see you, Judah, Piotr take on porting TLF to FlexJS,
but I’m definitely biased.  In theory, if you abstract the instantiation
of the text widget and the measurement of it, you can just cross-compile
the whole thing and use different text widgets in JS.  I would argue that
TLF is a beast and may be more than one would want to run in JS, but at
least we have it.

FWIW, I don’t spend too much time on studying other alternatives because
MXML and AS is Flex and my only goal is to see how well we can make it
work on JS.

And here’s a selling point:  If you go with some other JS framework and
tool chain and run into trouble, you have to bug them to help you.  If you
go with FlexJS, you can fix it yourself or if you need help, I promise to
help you.

-Alex