I think I’m going to spend a few weeks prototyping in FlexJS to get a feel for
it before making a final decision.

I’d really like to make it work.

I’d love to get a normal JS text engine. It seems to me there’s enough people
who have an interest in this space that it should be possible to get a joint
effort going. Of course there’s the basic question as to whether it should be
done using DOM, SVG or Canvas. If there’s a common interface, maybe all three
are options depending on the use case, and they could be hot-swapable.

As far as porting TLF goes, yeah. It’s a beast. It’s a temperamental beast. I
broke things a little too easily when I was working on the table support. Most
of the core architecture is pretty sound. There’s a few things I’d definitely
want to change (besides trying to make it more lightweight). I really do not
like the way FTE and in turn TLF handles paragraph terminators. All the fancy
footwork getting those virtual terminators in place, etc. I’d probably make
certain things more modular rather than have a single ITextLayoutFormat for
every conceivable format in existence. There’s probably a bunch of other things
as well.

Despite that, starting by porting it as-is like you say might make sense, but
we’re getting ahead of ourselves here… ;-)

I might ask for help getting up to speed in FlexJS. Stay tuned… ;-)

Harbs