I'm not familiar with the code but it makes sense to abstract away visual
styles so that custom themes/styles can be easily swapped out. Especially
when you consider how frequently design styles are changing, like how the
flat UI theme was so amazing and now, if you follow threads on dribbble,
you'll see people are bored to death and tired of it. Also as an example,
the original flash/flex component styles used lots of gloss and embossing,
a style that really started to fade out years ago.

It would make for easy user customization which would obviously make the
whole framework more appealing. Take XAML for example. I can download
something like Mahapps.Metro and by simply changing 1 line in my XAML
window declaration, all of my components and window itself become
completely restyled.

--
Jesse Nicholson